Sometimes, 160 characters isn’t enough. Or perhaps a photo is necessary to get your message across. That’s where MMS comes in handy. With MMS marketing you can send and receive rich multimedia via text without using external links. Your subscribers can see and engage with your media directly in the text message.
Follow Along with SimpleTexting Academy
Want to watch this process walked through step-by-step? Follow along with this video from SimpleTexting Academy.
What is MMS?
MMS stands for Multimedia Messaging Service. MMS allows you to add all kinds of rich media right inside your messages including images, gifs, videos, and audio files. It also lets you write up to 1,600 characters of text, 1,440 characters more than SMS.
You can send MMS messages when sending out Campaigns and Autoresponders.
The added value of text messages including rich media has a fairly positive impact on businesses:
MMS has a 20% higher opt-in rate than SMS
People are 8 times more likely to share MMS content on social media
98% of mobile devices can handle MMS just fine
Create An MMS Campaign
For this example, let’s pretend we’re an animal shelter that needs to find a temporary foster parent for a new kitten.
1. Click New campaign on the left-hand panel of your dashboard.
2. Give your campaign a name. This is just for your reference. Your subscribers won’t see this.
3. Click MMS.
4. Give your message a subject. Your subscribers will see this. Next, write out your message in the box below.
5. Now, to attach your photo, video, etc. Click Media next to the paperclip icon.
6. If you already have a link to the photo, click on the link icon and paste it there. Or, you can select an image from your computer by clicking the folder icon.
7. Wait for the image to load, select it, then click Insert.
8. Some devices may not support MMS. Those subscribers will receive an SMS fallback message with a link to the photo instead. You can track who did and did not click on this fallback link in your Subscribers tab.
You can edit your fallback message in the box below your message. For example:
9. Now, select the list you want to send your MMS message to.
10. Click the blue Next button.
11. Review your message. You can choose to either schedule your message for later, or click Send now.
You’re done! Sending dynamic and engaging texts is as simple as that.
Create an MMS Autoresponder
If you'd like to send an MMS when setting up an Autoresponder, the steps are pretty similar to setting up an MMS Campaign! Navigate to your Autoresponders tab, and click "New Autoresponder." Just be sure to toggle the "MMS" button and follow steps 3 through 8 above when it comes time to draft your message. 😃
Check out this article for more general information on how to set up Autoresponders.
SimpleTexting Tip — File Size☝️
When it comes to file size, you can upload a .jpeg or .png that’s up to 10 megabytes, and we’ll resize it for delivery. However, if you’re attaching an audio file, video, PDF, or any other type of file type that can’t be resized, it needs to be limited to 1 megabyte.